Jason and Dustin, the techies from US Internet (USI), showed up again today and replaced the antenna unit outside my window. The signal is coming in stronger than my Actiontec wireless router in the basement now.
Lots stronger. Tests at Speakeasy indicate download speeds of 10+ Mbps with uploading at almost 10 Mbps. In other words, it’s really, really fast.
I don’t know how this compares to life after the 60-day pilot project. If US Internet gets the contract, will my speeds still be in the 10 meg range or will they throttle it closer to 1 meg? (Jason, if you’re reading this, you should comment.)
I also met Matthew today who is with Belair, the company that makes the antenna units that USI is hanging on the poles (poles which belong to Excel).
As pointed out in my comments, I did get a USI password. Some sort of password or account should be available to the public in a day or so. At that point, I think the WEP password requirement will be removed.
USI has also lent me one of their Ruckus units. This is likely one of the CPEs that they will use. (CPE: customer premise equipment or hardware you may need to connect.) So far, my connection has been directly through my Macs wireless card and not the CPE. I’ll post some test results with the CPE soon.
Pilot Project Maps
I’ve put a request in with Jason to get me a true map of the pilot project. The City’s maps no longer reflect the area where USI has hung antennas. I’ll post it as soon as I get it.